In preparation for our 2011 Harvest Festival we're trying out various preserves to make sure there's plenty of produce to enjoy for all. These tomatoes were harvested today by our volunteers, and will last in the cupboard to make lovely pizzas toppings or salad ingredients.
Oven-dried tomato recipe
1. Harvest tomatoes of any variety, shape or size.
2. Leave small ones whole, but medium ones in half lengthways, cut large ones into quarters lengthways.
3. Place in a baking tray (cut ones should be placed cut-side up).
4. Place in the oven on a very low heat (between 50-100 degrees C).
5. Cook for 4-6 hours depending on the size of the tomatoes.
6. They are ready when they look shrivelled up like sun-dried tomatoes.
7. Leave to cool then store in a jar with a few springs of thyme (or rosemary or garlic etc), completely covered with a good olive oil.